Overview / Goals
We will open with a introductory exercise using Jamboard, then turn our attention to some essential questions for students of ed tech:
How will this tech tool add value to learning?
How do we use tools that support student comprehension?
How do we use tools that turn students from
consumers of information into creators?
How can we provide students opportunities to
share their learning with others?
Intro to WordPress web publishing
All classes and student work will be published to this site. We do this to motivate both the instructor and students to do their best work – since “the world is watching.” WordPress is a simple and popular way to create a website or blog. And it’s a great skill to have – because it’s used by roughly 1 out of every 3 websites in the world.
Assignment 1: “Tell a Story with Web Content”
Students will create their first web post and have a chance to get familiar with WordPress platform. Guided practice time will be provided during class, so that students can get personalized assistance.
Since the goal is learning to work with WordPress Blocks, students should feel free to choose a prompt that inspires them …. like:
- “2020 time capsule”
- “Scrapbook for my future self”
- “Things that make me smile”
- Any other prompt that supports the task
Use at least 10 WordPress embeds from other sources. – Such as:
- Posts from TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Imgur, Pinterest
- Videos from Vimeo, TED or YouTube
- Audio from Spotify or MixCloud
- GIFs from Giphy
Note: Only GIFs have a built in search by topic. All others require first finding the content on the destination platform and then copy the URL into the appropriate WordPress embed block. Most platforms have a share button that leads to a URL you can copy.
Your post should include:
- Clever title – be creative with this.
- At least 10 embeds from list above (use as many as you want from any one source)
- Use blocks like: Paragraph text, Heading and Separator to improve layout.
- NO IMAGES for now – next week we will learn how to find public domain images.