Hi everyone! Ms. P’s 3rd grade class is going on a day-trip to Portland, Oregon, to learn about a major city and get the chance to write about it! This lesson was inspired from, and combines locations from my 3rd grade scavenger hunt field trip, and my 6th grade bridge project.
Common Core Learning Targets:
- L.3.1. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- L.3.2. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- W.3.2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Today, you, a parent chaperone, and field trip buddy, will be exploring downtown Portland to get inspiration for our next writing project! Take notes about the things you see and do — what is special about each location and each experience? You will be writing a story based on these experiences using descriptive details and event sequences. Look at the map and pick some locations to go, but please pick:
- At least 3 bridges
- At least 2 buildings
- At least 1 park
Bring with you:
- A packed lunch (school can provide if necessary)
- Map of Portland with locations marked/Scavenger Hunt List
- Chaperone and field trip buddy!
- Drink from a Benson Bubbler
- Pose with one of the Animals in Pools fountains
- Find the white stag sign
- Perform a song outside of the Keller Auditorium
- Create a piece of art using plants you’ve found and leave it for someone to find
Map of portland:
Use the map to help you find your way — plan which locations you would like to go to and save them!
End of the day:
We will all meet at 2:30pm at Powell’s Bookstore, marked with a RED heart on the map.