“And I gave them a saying to say: “I am somebody. I was somebody when I came. I’ll be a better somebody when I leave. I am powerful, and I am strong. I deserve the education that I get here. I have things to do, people to impress, and places to go.”
What makes a good teacher?
- Fostering a community
- Creating a safe environment
- Engaging student imagination
- Designing a culturally responsive classroom
- Providing hands-on learning
- Teaching relevant lessons based on student interests
What to Avoid…
As a teacher we need to avoid the “Power Struggle”
As teachers, we need to believe in our students, especially when they aren’t able to believe in themselves!